Every year as nature strides purposefully through autumn into winter, with decreasing day lengths and dropping temperatures, are you one of those organised, well-prepared people? Or do you suddenly remember all those small but important tasks associated with heating our homes that you forgot to do over the summer?
Here’s a quick check-list of a few important tasks you still have time to do….
1. Service the central heating boiler. All C/H boilers benefit from regular maintenance to keep them at maximum efficiency and to avoid unwanted failures. It is a well-known ‘fact’ that domestic c/h boilers fail when the temperature is coldest and you need them most!
2. Sweep the chimney. If you use an open fire or wood burning/solid fuel stove regularly, then it is recommended that its chimney is swept at least annually. If you haven’t had your chimney swept this summer, don’t delay. Sweeps tend to be less busy until people start lighting their fires.
3. Top up your fuel supplies. Consumer demand for coal, C/H oil and firewood is low at the moment, so the prices are likely to be more attractive now than they will be in 2-3 months time.
4. Re-organise your wood store. Many owners of wood burners cut and season their own firewood. Now is a good time to move that seasoned wood closer to the house, perhaps into the main wood store.
5. Check your Grenadier Firelighter. Your electric fire lighter has probably been hidden in a cupboard for a number of months, so dust it off, check the electrics look sound then and verify it still works. A full range of firelighter spares are available directly from Grenadier. Your firelighter is fully serviceable by a qualified engineer, alternatively we offer full servicing facilities. If you are not sure whether a part needs replacing, please call us.
And if you don’t already use a Grenadier Firelighter to save time and effort when lighting your solid fuel fire, don’t delay – act now. Grenadier Firelighters can be purchased online directly from the manufacturer.